Saturday, September 19, 2009

Life Update and Roller Derby

I know, I know. I've been a bad blogger. I've been a tiny bit busier on the nights and weekends, but not too busy that I couldn't have blogged at some point in the last month. What have I been up to in the last few weeks? Well, mostly I've been running. I'm training for my first half-marathon, which is quickly approaching in early October. Look for the update on that in October! I've also recently started working for Panera again. I'll work there every Saturday in the opening shift; yup, that's 5:00am! I ran into my old boss and he asked if I would come back. I figured, why not? It's nice to get that extra money for work that isn't very hard. And finally, Robb's 30th birthday is in mid-October, so we've been trying to cram in a lot of activities on his "30 Before 30" list. We've completed a couple of movie marathons and been to a few different tourist attractions in the last month.

One of those activities that Robb, for some unknown reason, decided to put on his list, was to go see the Rat City Rollergirls. We were not really familiar with the roller derby, but as you may know, it's made quite the comeback in the last few years. We went to the last "bout" of the season. I wasn't exactly thrilled about seeing a roller derby; I thought it would be somewhat offensive to women and expected to see some cheap fights between the girls on skates. However, as we watched, I surprised myself with how much fun I had. I really enjoyed this sport and really appreciated the athleticism, passion, and skill these women had for this alternative sport. These girls were fast, they weren't really violent, and they could even jump over other skaters that had fallen. Robb and I didn't really know the rules as we watched, although by the end we could definitely tell how points were scored. I think I cheered much louder than Robb did. It was truly a blast and I'm sure we'll go again next season.

No comments: