Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Restaurant Raves

I've been to some amazing restaurants in the past few months. Unfortunately I don't have pictures, but these places deserve mentions. I'm sure I've been to additional restaurants lately, but none stand out like these places. I highly recommend a visit (and invite me along too)!

Peso's Kitchen: This restaurant has been the most important find for us and we've already eaten here three times. It's rare for us to eat in a Seattle restaurant more than once because there are so many places we want to try. Peso's is in the lower Queen Anne neighborhood, pretty close to the Space Needle. This restaurant is really popular and has quite the "meat-market" feel to it. It's hopping at night and the bar is packed and loud. The decor also has a really cool urban, Mexican vibe.Their Happy Hour doesn't have cheap drinks, but rather boasts super-cheap food. The crab fundido (a crab/cheese dip for chips) is phenomenal. They do great enchiladas and have a spicy and flavorful salsa.

Southern Kitchen: I had heard about this Tacoma restaurant for a long time. It was supposed to be authentic Southern cooking with huge portions. It also was featured on the tv show "Diner's, Drive-in's, and Dives." So Robb and I finally made it there and were super-impressed. The strawberry lemonades were beautiful (actual strawberries on the bottom of the glass, with lemonade poured over the strawberries and whipped cream on top), the fried chicken perfectly cooked, and the fried green tomatoes were delicious. It was true Southern cooking, and so yummy

Po Dogs: This is a gourmet hot dog joint, locations in both Capitol Hill and the U-District. Robb and I only shared one hot dog when we popped in one day (we had other big eating plans that day), sharing the Seattle Dog. This hot dog is topped with cream cheese and scallions. Other dogs on their menu that we will check out one day include toppings a southwestern style dog with pico de gallo and guacamole, or a hot dog with peanut butter and jelly on top, or even a hot dog wrapped in bacon and deep-fried.

Over the Moon Cafe: A friend and I went out to this little cafe in Tacoma as a special treat when I changed jobs in March. This is one of the top-rated restaurants in Tacoma and was beautiful and romantic inside. The menu changes with the season and I tried an amazing dish - chicken, covered with apples and a sage sauce. One day I'll have to take Robb to this romantic restaurant - if he's lucky.

Sunbreak Cafe: This is eatery is in the city of Auburn and has the most amazing breakfasts. I've been twice now, both with a friend and with Robb, and the waits are at least 30 minutes. And you have to stand in line to wait; no giving your name to a receptionist at the door. You stand in a line that goes out the door. But the wait is so worth it. The service is great and the breakfast is out of this world. They have both full and half orders. But trust me, you will never want the full order. The half order (three egg omelets/scrambles, a mountain of hash browns, and your choice of bread) is more than enough food. And trust me when I say you must eat the banana bread.

Gari of Sushi: A friend and I decided to meet up for dinner one night and were both in the mood for sushi.I did a little research to find the top-rated sushi joint in Tacoma. While the outside of the building looks pretty scary and unappetizing, once you walk in the recently renovated inside makes you feel a bit better about eating raw fish. I'm not a sushi expert, but I know that this Tacoma restaurant has beautiful sushi and delicous rainbow rolls.

La Carta de Oaxaca: This restaurant in Ballard has real Mexican food. Not the Tex-Mex style, but Oaxacan style, with corn tortillas and a killer mole sauce. The wait is long, and the place is loud and crowded. It actually seemed like a tapas restaurant - the plates were small and the food a tad over-priced for the amount you get. But it was nice to try something that wasn't all about the burrito. 

No comments: