Saturday, August 2, 2008

Eating My Way Through Spokane


In July I headed to Spokane again for work. The last time I was in Spokane there was snow on the ground. This time it was all brown and 90 degrees. The nice thing about this heat though, as opposed to Florida heat, is that it was a dry heat. So even though it was hotter than I've gotten used to, it wasn't an uncomfortable heat. The first day there our meetings ended early, so after checking into the hotel I walked downtown and did a little shopping. I also headed to the Davenport Hotel again to have a drink with my boss, D.

I had gotten recommendations from local Spokane co-workers about where to go to dinner, and we chose to eat at Clinkerdaggers, an amazing and pricey restaurant overlooking the Spokane River rapids. I really enjoyed steelhead fish, smothered in a hazelnut butter. My first experience with steelhead (a type of salmon), and I look forward to trying it again soon. Then D insisted on ordering me the "fried cream" which he had tried years ago. This turned out to be the most amazing creme brule that I've ever tried. D had only two bites and couldn't eat anymore on account of his diabetes; so, of course, I had to do my part and eat the rest of it.

The next day, before we headed to work, we made a point to stop at Frank's Diner. This little diner was created out of an old train car. It was really neat. In the 1800s, when it was still a train car, it was the private car for the president of the railroad. The train car actually became a diner in Seattle in the 1920s (I think), and it moved to Spokane in the 1990s. It's been consistently voted as one of the best diners in Spokane for several years. And yes, my eggs benedict were pretty darn good.
I'm really looking forward to the day where I can go to Spokane and spend a little bit more time there. It's a really neat place to visit (I don't think I could live there, but visiting is nice), and I'd like to do some touristy things with Robb. Maybe, now that I'm a runner, I'll head over there for the Bloomsday 12K run held every May. So I'm sure that you'll see more posts about Spokane in the future.

No comments: