Friday, May 9, 2008

Gas Works Park

A couple of Sundays ago I was in the Seattle neighborhood Wallingford for a meeting. Since I was already in Seattle, I decided I wanted to go find something cool to do after the meeting and I decided to head to close-by Gas Works Park. According to my guide book, this park used to be the site of the Seattle Gas Light Company which operated from 1906 to 1956. In the early 1960s the Seattle City Council wanted a park to be created out of the former filthy plant. Originally they wanted a beautiful arboretum, but the designer decided to incorporate some of the old gas plant. It's really striking to see the combination of lush green lawns with rusty old towers. Plus, the park is on Lake Union, with beautiful views of downtown Seattle.

I guess you'll never know what can be spotted in a Seattle park. I suppose knights fighting in full armor shouldn't be considered that unusual; I didn't take pictures of the homeless guys taking hits from a bong or playing the flute.

If you look closely in the middle, that's a seaplane taking off from Lake Union.

No comments: